• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable Difficulty

S

Skorm

Fable Difficulty

Hi all, I'm new to the forums, but probably will enjoy them greatly, since I'm quite fond of Fable.

Bought it 2 months ago and still can't get enough. Only the Legacy Of Kain series, as well as Monkey Island games have addicted me so. I've already gotten through it like 6 or 7 times, and now playing again to collect all 30 Silver keys, since last I recovered only 28. What I like about Fable is the depth. The game allows you to do a great variety of actions, and whatever little you can't do, it's still doable with your imaginations.

Anyway, has anyone noticed (my bet is that all of you have) how easy is this game? And I'm not the "l33test" gamer out there. In most RPGs I play, I reroll at some point, since I made the wrong combinations of skills/perks (you get the idea) and the pace is getting to fast for me to follow. But I've beaten Fable the first time without problem. The second time, with the little knowledge I had, I could mix my melee with the best suited magic and I was breezing through the storyline. And the third time... the third time I found Skorm's bow and fell in love with it. The forth time I decided to make an assassin - only (Skorm's) bow, only p. shield and a little toughtess and health (okay, and +2 in physique, since I like Chicken Kickin'). Worked like a charm. My next hero-developments have been even more hybrid, but, after all, the game offers more experience than you can spend, even if you max ALL abilities.

So, my point is, shouldn't the developers make the game harder the next time? And add difficulty levels. Even if these diff. levels only add to the damage received and lower the dmg dealt.

Anyway, what about your opinions?

H

Hexadecimal

Re: Fable Difficulty

well, first of all, welcome to the boards :D

I personally didn't mind the low difficulty of the game, as I thought that things like storyline and growing your character were the most important factors of the game... though combat was obviously big as well, I think it really took a second seat...
however, that's not to say I would have anything against options of increasing the difficulty in Fable 2, I just don't think it's overly neccessary as Fable is an immersive type of game with it's focus more on emotional attatchement to the character and moral choices than on fighting...

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;52916 said:
well, first of all, welcome to the boards :D

I personally didn't mind the low difficulty of the game, as I thought that things like storyline and growing your character were the most important factors of the game... though combat was obviously big as well, I think it really took a second seat...
however, that's not to say I would have anything against options of increasing the difficulty in Fable 2, I just don't think it's overly neccessary as Fable is an immersive type of game with it's focus more on emotional attatchement to the character and moral choices than on fighting...

Sounds like that came straight from Peter's mouth. :p I totally agree. Fable may be easy. But for some people it's not (Like Angel) And for me the
Jack of Blades as a dragon is still a tough fight

Like hex said, I think it's more of an emotional, alligment, spirit type of game.
I also like that there is a limit on the character. It keeps people from going around saying things like "My character pwns yours" That's unneccessary competition. It's just game

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

You can also self regulate the difficulty by handicapping yourself.
Increasing damage done to you = Go Naked the whole game
Decreasing damage that you do = Fist Fighter the whole game
Or some variation of these. Get creative and have fun :D
Welcome to Projectego Skorm

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Welcome to the forums! As Sephiroxas has already mentioned, some people don't find Fable easy (ME!!) and I think it is not an easy task for game developers to make a game accessible to the majority of gamers the way Fable is. My five year old can play it, I can play it and Steve can play it - we are all at very different levels of ability where gaming is concerned, and yet the game is enjoyable to all of us.

It's like with any game - if you find it hard to play you either persevere, cheat or give up and go for something else. If you find it too easy you can either set yourself challenges within the game like completing it in a certain time limit, doing everything with minimal armour, not using weapons etc - or perhaps look for a game that suits your desires better.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Angel;53254 said:
Welcome to the forums! As Sephiroxas has already mentioned, some people don't find Fable easy (ME!!)
:lol: :ninja:

and I think it is not an easy task for game developers to make a game accessible to the majority of gamers the way Fable is. My five year old can play it, I can play it and Steve can play it - we are all at very different levels of ability where gaming is concerned, and yet the game is enjoyable to all of us.

It's like with any game - if you find it hard to play you either persevere, cheat or give up and go for something else. If you find it too easy you can either set yourself challenges within the game like completing it in a certain time limit, doing everything with minimal armour, not using weapons etc - or perhaps look for a game that suits your desires better.

Like Albion knight is doing. It's always fun to try and find new ways to play a game.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

For instance , you could just play through the game without using a single experiencel point!

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Perhaps this thread should be moved to Fable discussion? :unsure:

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Why isn't it already? :O

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

droded;53280 said:
Why isn't it already? :O

Because skorm introduced himself. but it seems it's become a discussion about the difficulty of games and fable.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I'll move it...*pops more pills and flails mouse around in a haphazard fashion, narrowly avoiding a concussion*

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Well I do think it should be moved to the Fable discussion section..

And welcome to the forums Skorm ^_^

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

droded;53274 said:
For instance , you could just play through the game without using a single experiencel point!
I did that too It was really fun

S

Skorm

droded;53274 said:

Yeah, but I would hate to have my hero be skinny as me all time :)

I truly agree, that Fable is action-RPG with emphasis on "RPG" (man, it is HARD to find such games in these times. Bought The Bard's Tale and I was completely disappointed. But that's other story.). Yeah, I guess I could take all "naked" and "fist fighter" boosts, but then the only difference will be that I'll position "drink potion" button on Mouse Right Click and buy tons of pots. In this line of thoughts, has anyone taken (and completed) "Fist fighter" boost for The Arena??? I guess you'll wack white balverines, throlls and giant scorpions for more than a month :D

Anyway, that's why I think that difficulty levels will be most appropriate. I tend to start all my games at "Easy", and after I get through it, I conseder to start it again in "normal" (if "easy" alone wasn't too hard). And (I don't remember who said it, though) that games, that are too hard make us cheat. I remember when I was playing through BloodRayne 1 (I have a week spot for vampires), I breezed through the entire game (it's not too hard when you enter a room and see 20 walking medkits in the form of nazis) only to enter "god mode" for the final fight, because it was cruelly hard even NOT compared to the rest of the game.

Anyway, thanks for the many replies, and sorry for not choosing the appropriate forum category. (I love that word - appropriate - reminds me of Monkey Island...)

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Thats a point, If you take the fist fighter boast can you use magic?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Lay of the Physical Shield aswell as the big area of effect spells and you've got a totally different game..... :ninja:

V

Vegeta

Welcome Skorm im sorry I didn't get to post sooner but I was at my dads.

I agree I think that Fable 2 should add a difficulty level. But I like what Fable is... In fact it's the only RPG that I can beat. Im like Angel on most games (cant beat them)..

The only games I can beat half way easy are Halo, Halo-2, and Fable/TLC.
But, I would love to see a difficulty level to push myself and see how far I can get.

S

Skorm

Well, have you played Baldur's Gate 2. It is a veeery hard game, especially if you're new to D&D (thankfully, I wasn't). But, in the end, I simply can't describe you the feeling of seeing the big half-my-monitor dragon fall dead to the ground, after he killed my party like 15 times. "Great" in not enough to express the feeling. And the final Fable battle? 3, most 4 multi-strikes, 1 slow time and voila. That not the way to threat a dragon :D

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Skorm;53510 said:
Well, have you played Baldur's Gate 2. It is a veeery hard game, especially if you're new to D&D (thankfully, I wasn't). But, in the end, I simply can't describe you the feeling of seeing the big half-my-monitor dragon fall dead to the ground, after he killed my party like 15 times. "Great" in not enough to express the feeling. And the final Fable battle? 3, most 4 multi-strikes, 1 slow time and voila. That not the way to threat a dragon :D

Good old Baldur's Gate II. Now that was a game where dragons were dragons. and not puny salamanders like in Fable.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;53516 said:
Good old Baldur's Gate II. Now that was a game where dragons were dragons. and not puny salamanders like in Fable.

He's not that puny..:'(