• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Fable: The Journey has no melee combat

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Peter Molyneux has been explaining Lionheads reasoning behind leaving out melee combat in their upcoming 'controversial' Kinect title Fable: The Journey.

We could have done melee weapons, but the one thing I hate about melee weapons, and guns as well, is that the human brain is encoded to expect recoil from those things. Whenever I swing a sword and I hit something on screen, the visuals and the sound isn't enough. We could have done what Zelda did well on Twilight Princess, where it doesn't really matter what you do, what happens on-screen is the best thing. But I wanted people to feel powerful, to feel power, and that's all about you. The thing about magic is there's nothing encoded in your mind about how it should feel. So no guns, and no swords.

What i dont understand is Ryse and​

Rise of Nightmares are doing it and they look to work fine ...

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
"But I wanted people to feel powerful, to feel power, and that's all about you."

Oh yeah, people are going to really feel powerful when they're flailing their arms in front of the screen.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Oh yeah, people are going to really feel powerful when they're flailing their arms in front of the screen.

Magic has no weight and therefore no sense of power really.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I don't know what he's talking about. Melee combat in Fable TLC was one of my favorite things. I thought they did a good job. The man is CLEARLY going senile.

And what's wrong with Twilight Princess :(...he WISHES fable was as good as Zelda......Psh...>.>

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
[quote="Dark Drakan, post: 486350" I wanted people to feel powerful, to feel power, and that's all about you.
[/quote]
Ha! That's what he said in the making of Fable 2 and 3.

UnholyKing

UnholyKing
Reaction score
it sounds like what i used to play cops and robbers

RayMe

William Black
Reaction score
Sorry to say this fellas and i'm especially sorry those individuals who are seeing this as blasphemy, but i'm starting to doubt the fact that this is a game worth buying. I really enjoy the fable games, but this is lame. No melee so no legendary weapons and such..
As much for the whole heroes being made idea in the story line.. ( correct me if i'm wrong)..

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Allow me to be frank here.

Screw The Journey. After all, that's what they did to us non-Kinect fans. I'll wait for Fable 4.

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score
As long as they don't call this "Fable 4", I'm set. I don't wanna encourage kinect games.

Miekkas

Sissi
Reaction score
Hark I have returned after a year or so hiatus from this site long enough to give some of my thoughts:

PM is either in his usual state of insanity, or he is making excuses because they could not find a way to include weapons that worked well. To cite "recoil" as a reason for withholding weapons from the game is ridiculous because popularity of first person shooters and series like The Elder Scrolls proves that players could care less about feeling "recoil" when a game is presented in first person.

BWfreak

Reaction score
To cite "recoil" as a reason for withholding weapons from the game is ridiculous because popularity of first person shooters and series like The Elder Scrolls proves that players could care less about feeling "recoil" when a game is presented in first person.

First, totally agree with this!!! Second, why make a game purely for Kinect when there are three full games prior to it that don't need Kinect whatsoever? After seeing the gameplay demo from E3 I do like how you use different motions to form and manipulate spells. I can't see how hard it would have been to at least add in melee weapons.

And then to restrict the player's freedom by making The Journey a rail game?! The main selling point of the Fable games has been the freedom that you get during gameplay. Why completely remove that freedom of movement?

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to playing even though it's the Fable equivalent of the muppet babies

TheDarkCynder

Reaction score
fable_the_journey_not_on_rails_nag.jpg

IMesh

99% Toxin Free!
Reaction score
Molyneux:
So... It's a 3D Game, with no direct combat, no freedom and no "Black Humour"...
Company:​
...........^............^ ..\​
......|....$.......... $ ...0​
......|..........l_ ..........|​
......|...wwwwww ...|​
......|...^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ...|​

mr man

The local mind controller
Reaction score
Rail game? I'd rather play kinect sports '_' PM has really let old school Fable fans down