• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What would you see if you had no eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I was thinking about this properly earlier.

I used to just assume that if you had no eyes, you would 'see' blackness. But consider this - seeing darkness is still seeing.

If I shut my eyes in a room with no light and there was no light coming through the door frame, I would still see, I would just only see darkness, because there's no light to go into my eyes and be converted into an image for my brain. But an image is still being sent to your brain, it's just an image of a black screen, so you still 'see' it.

My foot, or my hand, for example, has no eyes, so I don't 'see' a dark screen down by my foot. See what I'm getting at? Even if there is no light for your eye to give your brain a message, it will still give your brain the message of darkness. So if you have no eyes to give a message to your brain... what would you see? How would your senses work in 'seeing' the world around you? Sight establishes our head as the 'central hub' of ourselves because we can see from it, so life without eyes is incredibly hard to imagine.

tl;dr even if it's dark you still see a black screen, so what would you see if you had literally no eyes?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
They would still see darkness as our brains inability to interpret the nerve impulses result in darkness (hence the term blacking out when someone falls unconscious too). Some blind people who have had eyes removed have reported seeing sparkles of colour and flashes of light even though they dont have eyes their optic nerves are picking up random signals from the brain and the part of the brain that processes the signal from the eyes is fine.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
They would still see blackness as our brains inability to interpret the nerve impulses result in blackness (hence the term blacking out when someone falls unconscious). Some blind people who have had eyes removed have reported seeing sparkles of colour and flashes of light even though they dont have eyes their optic nerves are picking up random signals from the brain.

But seeing blackness is still our eyes working, right? It's the eyes saying "There is no light here", only instead of words, it's using the image of blackness. But it's still an image that we can visually see... so you can't see it if you have no eyes to see it... right?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
But seeing blackness is still our eyes working, right? It's the eyes saying "There is no light here", only instead of words, it's using the image of blackness. But it's still an image that we can visually see... so you can't see it if you have no eyes to see it... right?

Not exactly blackness is what you see when you close your eyes but the Darkness of your brain not receiving the signal of sight is different though the brain interprets it as the same nothingness. I mean if you have ever seen anyone pass out and mid-fall their eyes are open but they dont see themselves falling as they blacked out before the fall. The brain hasnt been able to interpret the signals so they have seen 'nothing' after that point of the black out.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
You wouldn't know what "seeing" is.

You'd get no sensory input and since you have no eyes you have no notion what "seeing" is.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well, I would imagine your other sensory outlets would compensate for the one you lacked. In other words, you would build up a picture in your mind (by feeling, hearing or smelling things) with your imagination. The brain is really what 'sees', and not the eyes, the eyes are just the sensory power that gathers the images so to speak. It's how you can visualise memories and fantasies in your head. So, if you had no eyes, you would indeed see darkness, although, "see" isn't really the right word, 'imagine' is. That's my thoughts anyway.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
You would see the truth, but wouldn't be able to describe it to anyone.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I think Tsuyu's been the most correct so far. When I first saw the title question, my first thought was that you'd see nothing (not even darkness). But come to think of it, if eyeballs were the only things you were missing, something in your brain might still think you're getting sensory input, and you might just see darkness. However, if some part of your optic nerve, occipital lobe, or thalamus were to be damaged or impaired, you might just see nothing (again, not even darkness). The notion of literally seeing nothing is just extremely difficult for us to comprehend, just like sight might be near incomprehensible for someone who was born blind.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I think the question is: were you born without eyeballs, or were you able to see up until you had an accident or something?

The ability to understand what it is to see something is key here. A person who was blind from birth has no concept of seeing, but a person who goes blind has the ability to sense what he has lost.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score
I think if a human litterally had no eyeballs they would still get the "black screen" effect. Assuming the part of the brain that recieves input from the eyes is intact and functioning. As Tsuyu said the ability to understand what it is to see is important, but I think both an accident victim and person who was always blind would recieve the same blackness. The always blind person just wouldn't understand what "black" is. The same person probably wouldn't be able to confirm or deny this, because they don't understand what sight is.

If some creature that normally has no eyes had no eyes, it probably wouldn't have any part of its brain devoted to recieving and translating visual input. So therefor it would have no concept of sight and wouldn't see anything at all, not even blackness. It simply doesn't see. As sighted creatures, that's pretty much impossible for us to imagine.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
As stated before, it wouldn't be seeing, not really. Unless you lost your sight, people with born blindness have no way to interpret the signals being sent to the brain because it has no frame of reference. The 'blackness' wouldn't be noticed because there is nothing to compare it to, so it it can't really be considered a form of sight. Humans are a sight driven species. When we don't have sight there is no reason, or even a way, for the brain to develop the sort of pathways dedicated to deciphering visual signals, so the other primary senses are weighed upon more heavily. This is why many blind people are capable of crude forms of echo-location.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

No it is not in any way and form related. I'm starting grow tired of all this off-topic spamming which you've started to post recently.

Cut it out.

Hermit

Boy next door
Reaction score
No it is not in any way and form related. I'm starting grow tired of all this off-topic spamming which you've started to post recently.

Cut it out.

You're right sir. I have been very unorthodox in my manner of posting. Allow me to adjust my posting parameters to be utterly serious at all times, as forums are very serious business and I have been acting in an unorthodox and lighthearted manner. I will not underestimate the serious business of the forums again.

Sincerely, Bill Williamson, absolutely normal man.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Light-hearted is one thing.

Being a spamming nuisance is another.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Eyes are simply our mechanic for interpreting colour through light, and if you had no eyes you could not interpret light so therefore you'd simply have no knowledge of light and in the absence of light you only have darkness so as Darkiepoops said you 'see' blackness.

Your brain wouldn't be able to translate anything because you don't have an input device aka the eyes.

And you'd guide yourself using other senses as Mc'QueenieKilt put it you'd develop an awareness of your surroundings through smell, touch and sound and you'd possibly get an increase in these senses as this happens to blind and deaf people occasionally. Much like a Bat 'sees' by sound you'd learn to 'see' by your other senses.

thats the simplest form I can put it to you.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I support this very normal and ordinary statement.

For the love of -

You do realize that you're still off-topic spamming? I thought I told you to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.