• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is space is it infinite, finite, or ever growing ? Check out my answer

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
I have a question what is space? .......
Is it
A. Infinite?
B. Finite?
C. Ever growing ?
D. None of the above?

I say D, none would make sense, infinite is impossible especially in the eye of science, it can't be finite and just stop What would it be a wall? What would be on the other side? and it can't be growing that would mean that thier is already space past that, that it's growing into, so in conlusion we are not ment to know just like death, we are just here and exist in this form of reality traped in this existance for as long as we live

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
The universe is estimated to be 14.4 billion years old in a couple more years a new telescope will be launched to replace Hubble's. This new telescope will be even more powerful and let us see even further in time than Hubble's maybe even allowing us to see the first galaxies forming? I doubt it will let us see the big bang itself we'd need a really high tech scope for that which will probably take us a few more centuries, but anything can happen.

Anyway I'm a big fan of the elastic band theory, if the universe is 14 billion years old then that means its not really very old so in theory you could maybe squeeze out another 14-28 billion years from it? So My answer is that we live in a finite cosmos which is still expanding and will continue to expand till it runs out of juice.

However you have to take into effect the Anti-matter which allows space-time to continue to expand but this is very dark territory to me and I don't know enough about it to comment. Also if the universe is ruled by a lifespan you then have another question of how many times it has been 'born,lived & died' which is a ridiculous thing as it is most likely truly inconceivable.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
How exactly is infinite space an impossibility? Stephen Hawking says (or rather writes) the following:

"The boundary condition of the universe is that it has no boundary."

You're thinking within the realm of physics as we know it today, most of which are based around our knowledge of our little blue marble and the very limited space in close vicinity around it. It is like limiting the attributes of an ocean because of what we know from a water droplet. There is a lot floating around that just blows my mind such as "real time" and "imaginary time".

"One can think of ordinary, real, time as a horizontal line. On the left, one has the past, and on the right, the future. But there's another kind of time in the vertical direction. This is called imaginary time, because it is not the kind of time we normally experience. But in a sense, it is just as real, as what we call real time."

The same applies to an infinite universe. In our limited thinking we imagine the concept of an infinite universe is an endless space that stretches out forever. This is not possible for physics as we know it. However, it is very much possible that the universe occupies space that we can not comprehend, "imaginary space" if you will. It doesn't have to be infinite in the sense that it just goes on forever physically, it could be infinite in the sense that it contains countless parallel versions of itself; multiverse theory. So just because an infinite universe violates the laws of our comprehension of space, our "real space", doesn't mean it can't be so.

In short, we don't know nearly enough about the universe for our claims to be nothing but the musings of primitive apes looking up at the sky for the first time. Even theories put forth by great minds such as Hawking and Sagan are still nothing but (albeit very, very) qualified guesses.

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
@Hermes, i dont believe in the big bang because i dont believe the universe was created by accident and i dont believe that our solar system was just accidentally formed, its one thing for some type of life form to exist because the conditions alowed it to, but its another when we have sight and we can hear and think, if it was all just an accident that would mean that those three things where already possible before the big bang and before the formation of our galaxy so wouldint it sorta of be impossible or to much of a coincidence that those things took place to form something that already could be? And continue to be, if it was accidentally formed couldint we accidentally drift away? What keeps our solar system in place in order for life to continue to exist? Its to much of a coincidence for it just to be all one big accident when you just take some time and look at the most simple things in life you will notice that its design and we are just ment to live things are just to perfect to be otherwise. What pises me off tho is knowing that there is so much to life and the universe and existence and so many possibilities, that we have no clue of, that i wish we did but then again if we was "all knowing" wouldint that get boring ? We would be gods.... hey maybe we are gods and life is just a vacation from knowing everything hehe :) (just kidding) but at the end of the day who knows what anything is possible

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Dude.

Are you high?

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
@tsuyu yea but i ment whitin our physics what u posted is a whole other ball game that would be to much to get into and can go as much as one can imagine life is thought anything is possible what i was trying to get across is whiten our physics none of the above would make sence so conclusion is we are not ment to know we are just ment to live.... in this form of existence kind of like the "truman show movie the more jim carey tryied to get out the more he got pulled back in, that might be a bad example but i hope you get what im saying

Dude.

Are you high?

Its a deep concept that can get very hard to explain so sorry if you dont understand something but what are you refering to ?

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Well, for example, the part where you said that the Big Bang couldn't have happened because we have senses such as sight.

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
Well, for example, the part where you said that the Big Bang couldn't have happened because we have senses such as sight.

I just ment that those things where already possible before "the big bang" especially thought so what are the chances of everything so perfectly and conveniently forming for us to live and continue living. But like i said anything is possible no one will ever know the endless knowing or posibility that is existance

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Before the Big Bang there was essentially nothing. No, the senses we humans enjoy were most certainly not possible before then. Also, you said that the Big Bang was accident. Not true. Or rather, possibly true but also possibly not true.

Just because it is mentioned like an "explosion" and explosions are generally accidental in nature doesn't mean the Big Bang was an accident. To me, personally, it would be too depressing to think of everything being an accident.

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
Before the Big Bang there was essentially nothing. No, the senses we humans enjoy were most certainly not possible before then. Also, you said that the Big Bang was accident. Not true. Or rather, possibly true but also possibly not true.

Just because it is mentioned like an "explosion" and explosions are generally accidental in nature doesn't mean the Big Bang was an accident. To me, personally, it would be too depressing to think of everything being an accident.

So your saying we just poped into existence? out of no where ? And then the universe conveniently formed our galaxy perfectly for life to exist ? Thats a pretty big pill to swallow

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
Option A or B its one or the other actually it can co exist if B created A

A. an accident
B. design / creator

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Ah now I see where you're going with this.

The "cosmological argument" for the existence of God.

I'm out.

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
Ah now I see where you're going with this.

The "cosmological argument" for the existence of God.

I'm out.

You yourself had said you dont beilive it was an accident so what else would that mean ? But no its not that blunt and i like hearing other peoples views on these things although i must admit i do lean towards design just dont know what that might be as possibilties are endless but i like to hear other people points of view and i dont like to use the term "god" as i dont know what the concept can trully be it may not be what the traditional way of thinking says it is

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
So just because it wasn't an accident "God" did it?

You don't think the cause behind it all is more amazing and wondrous than any made-up man in the sky our ignorant little minds could've possibly imagined? How can you look at the universe and, with 100% certainty, say "Yeah, we figured this **** out thousands of years ago."?

To me, that is unbearably depressing. How are we supposed to advance as a species when we are so arrogant...?

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
But see thats the problem you are speaking of it as in the bible im not im not a religous person but i do beilive there is design what that may be who knows i look at it more like the force that allows existance to stay intact and yes there are many wonders to life and i try and think of such things all the time
And im not saying that this is 100% its just food for thought

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Carl Sagan said:
"The idea that God is an over-sized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying ... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."

Itsyabog

Itsyaboy
Reaction score
Its not that black and white im not saying its a man in the sky and im not saying its the laws to life im saying its a concept that we may not understand or comprihend or not thought of yet

If by sentience u mean consciousness then my answer is unsure but everything points to design, everything is just to perfect. kind of off topic do u beilive in ufos?

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
The question still remains: do you believe that there is some form of sentience behind it?

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
It is kinda hard to not believe in UFOs. (harr harr)

If you mean extraterrestrial spaceships visiting earth, then no, I don't believe in them having done that. That doesn't mean I don't believe in aliens per say mind you, just that I don't think it feasible that they would've been able to visit Earth. The technology that would have to be involved in a vessel that is capable of the feats popularly attributed to UFOs is just mind-boggling.

I also don't buy into their reasons for visiting Earth; abducting people and putting them through medical procedures that would leave Dr. Mengele pale with fright. If a aliens are able to produce these incredible vessels of intergalactic travel it would make no sense for them to not have extremely advanced medical technology as well.

In short; there are too many logical fallacies for me to believe in the popular UFO myth.