• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Take Two not finished with Red Dead or Bioshock

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
1819661-mensfitness_cropped026_screen.jpg

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has been talking about the future of their 'permanent franchises' and has named Red Dead and Bioshock as 2 of them. Take-Two had made the decision not to annualise its biggest franchises some time ago, leading to lengthy gaps between the release of new series entries unlike some of their competitors who opted for annual releases. In the interview he described why they opted for this approach...

The risk of just [releasing more games] is that you end up just bulking up your release schedule and that isn't really what consumers want. Consumers want better, not more. It's obvious that GTA is a permanent franchise as long as we keep delivering this incredible quality; it seems quite obvious that Red Dead is a permanent franchise, again with the same caveat, or Borderlands, for example, and NBA and others.

But not everything is going to be a permanent franchise. We can do very well even if it's not. I would like to see us grow with a couple more great franchises in the next couple years and we're launching Evolve; we have very high hopes for that.

After Irrational Games closed their doors many feared for the future of Bioshock but he had the following to say about that...

We haven't given any colour on how you should think about it yet except we do believe it's beloved; we think it's important [and] certainly something that we're focused on; something 2K Marin will be responsible for shepherding going forward.

I don't want to say much else except to agree with you. I think there's a lot of upside in that franchise. It hasn't necessarily been realized yet. And the question for the future, assuming we decide to answer the question, would be 'how do you stay true to that creatively?' 'How do you do something exciting?' 'How do you do expand the market?' That would be the natural drill. We're starting from a good point on it. And certainly it's been a great piece of business for us; it's been a profitable piece of business.

SOURCE - CVG