• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Angry and Annoyed at this game

Are you happy with the story in this game?

• Total voters

Monty Popcorn

Reaction score
From the word go Fable fans have always had a great dislike for Fable: The Journey. Many complaining that Kinect was not the right platform for the game, as a result of this more than likely, Lionhead shut down their forums. However I and a few others here were always positive about the game, telling people on the forums and in real life to try the game when it comes out then make up your mind.

I like many people were quite impressed by the demo Lionhead released. I was impressed how a company managed to make a game that’s actually half decent for kinect, with responsive controls and the usual fable graphics we all love.

It is not the game itself where I have my quarrel, but what happens in it:

(SPOILERS)

In the game you as Gabriel must team up with Theresa and get back to the Spire where she has been living for the last two games (one hundred years). When you eventually get to the spire Theresa sacrifices herself so Albion may live. By this I do not mean Gandalf style sacrifice I mean she is actually dead. To add insult the spire is also subsequently destroyed. Gabriel wakes up on a beach with his eyes white; he has become the new seer of Albion, leaving all possible ways for Theresa to come back blown out of the water.

Here’s my gripe with the game. Lionhead promised in several interviews nothing too major would happen in this game, in my opinion everything that could happen happened. As a result we have lost our only link to Fable and destroyed one of the last few to Fable II, leaving only Reaver as a link to previous games. This is like the Master Chief being killed off in Halo ODST, unthinkable. I never had much time for the original Fable as it is not as good as everyone makes it out to be, Fable II is not only my favourite Fable title but also my favourite game of all time.

Please do not take this as a rant; however I would love to hear other people’s opinions on the matter.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
As I have neither have a copy of Fable: The Journey or a Kinect, I thought that I might cheekily watch the ending to Fable: The Journey. That confession aside, I won't pretend I know an awful lot about game, outside of press releases and gossip. Having said that, I still feel that the seemingly bleak ending was engineered in such a way as to allow room for interpretation of Teresa's fate.

Unless I missed it, she is not explicitly shown dead. Things aren't looking good for her, what with that huge asplosion and whatnot, but I saw her 'sacrificial ritual' as more of an ascension than anything else, with Gabriel taking her place as immortal Seer and Teresa taking on a more ethereal role. Of course, with her saying, 'My time in this world is over, a new age is upon us,' it does sound a little bit like she might have snuffed it.

I 'unno. Never played the game, likely never will (don't have nearly enough pennies to justify purchasing a Kinect), but that's just what I was able to glean from the ending cutscene. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that she turns up in Fable 4.

Monty Popcorn

Reaction score
I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that she turns up in Fable 4.

You and me both. Although, Fable II means a lot to me as it represents a much happier time in my life and I don’t think, if this is the last time we see Theresa, the character was given much justice in her exit. I like you also don’t own the game and have seen walkthroughs on YouTube. To think that such a monumental character to the franchise is effectively killed off in a side game is quite upsetting. Also to think that the majority of Fable fans will not see her exit is quite heartbreaking.

Many Fable fans disliked Fable II, but I think it’s safe to say just about everyone liked having Theresa as that link to the first game.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Theresa will make an appearance in future games, but I have doubts of her coming straight back in Fable IV. Just got that feeling , y'know.

I played the game, and I thought the story was so-so, although it did leave loads of plotholes lying around, especially if you've read The Edge of The World.

SPOILERS

For example, what on Earth happened to everyone, both in Albion and Samarkand? What happened to Laylah? To Reaver? And what about The King, the Empress, Garth, Ben? What about them? Nothing in The Journey covered any of that, and from what we've seen, Albion and Samarkand were destroyed by the Corruption.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Heh, perhaps they will pull a "its a parallel universe/alternative timeline" on us in the end?

Twilight

Reaction score
I don't have the game but I checked out the ending. I still don't know how I really feel about the ending. In one way I think they just got rid of one the most mysterious characters in the series who keeps the story interesting. But after 3 and lets say a half titles..we learned very little about Theresa and that was the most disappointing thing about it. Well, if that is in fact her gone of course. Then on the other hand I think maybe change is coming. If Fable IV ever arrives her last line of "My time in this world is over, a new age is upon us" could be a signal that something new and fresh is in the works. Well that's what I hope anway.

Demangirl

Fights the urge to look at the hot cat next to me.
Reaction score
I haven't played the game yet but I do not see myself ever playing. Fable was good but slow, Fable 2 was awesome and Fable 3 was ok. I do enjoy fable 3(was a short game to me and a little to easy but still ok) but the main thing I hate about it is how the multiplier part is sooo glitchy. So I see no need to try anymore fable games if they are just going to keep getting glitchy and more boring/shorter.