• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Age Of Empires Online shuts down

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
aoe-online-betakeys.jpg

In a move that surprised no-one really (I actually forgot it existed) gamers were notified in a farewell message on the official Age Of Empires blog, the game's community coordinator Garmon Bozia told fans the servers were set to be closed at 4pm PDT (midnight UK time) on Tuesday evening. AOE is one of my favourite game series of all time (well 1 & 2 are) such a shame to see it watered down to a F2P browser online game, I just hope they come back with something more substantial. Would hate to see AOE bow out with a whimper on IOS and Android as rumours are saying...

The game's final stats were also shared, with a total of 524,247,423 single-player quests and 13,792,410 multiplayer quests played. Over 2 million arena matches were also held and between them, players raised 2.25 billion Empire Points.

Garmon Bozia statement

It has been a pleasure and an honor serving you all. Thank you for the time you have spent with us, exploring all these little worlds together and conquering them for the glory of your Alliance and your Empire. Thank you especially for the times you spent with each other, in PVP matches, in co-op quests, and in the forums and the rest of the internet. Thank you for playing.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
To be honest... I think Age of Empires 2 HD killed it.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I purchased that but had issues running it but has since had that issue patched so may have to try it again. Love AOE II, one of favourite RTS games of all time. Wish they would go back to their roots & create AOE IV already & leave these F2P browser titles alone.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Well, you can't really go back to the roots as things were. Ensemble has stopped existing years ago. Things change. I'd rather want a new franchise that follows up spiritually the gameplay elements that Age of Empires offered instead.

With fresh people, minds and some industry veterans together to create it. To bring some new ideas into the solid gameplay that Age of Empires could only offer.

But one can only dream.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well, you can't really go back to the roots as things were. Ensemble has stopped existing years ago. Things change. I'd rather want a new franchise that follows up spiritually the gameplay elements that Age of Empires offered instead.

With fresh people, minds and some industry veterans together to create it. To bring some new ideas into the solid gameplay that Age of Empires could only offer.

But one can only dream.

I miss the glory days of Ensemble & Westwood, such good RTS games under those developers. The genre has never been the same since those guys shut down/went their separate ways. Been playing AOE II & Red Alert 2/Yuris Revenge to this day.