• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

About the Fable Trilogy...

Gavindale

Reaction score
I have been reading up on the Fable Trilogy - and have read reviews comparing the games, listing the good and the bad, glitches and perks, and I just wanted to get some information from gamers out there about the Trilogy. I was looking to buy Fable, but was looking for people's opinion. Anything is appreciated!

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score
Do you have any specific questions. Is you're main question about which one is better is certain ways or whether or not to buy it?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
What sort of games are you usually into? Do you have any particular questions or concerns?

Gavindale

Reaction score
Albion - I am just trying to get a feel for the first of the Fable Trilogy, I am doing research to see if they are worth buying and playing. As for Dark Drakan's question, I enjoyed Final Fantasy, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo II, etc. I just want to make sure Fable is worth getting, which is why I asked about how people felt about them - if they enjoyed the Trilogy, the ups and downs for the game, etc.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Albion - I am just trying to get a feel for the first of the Fable Trilogy, I am doing research to see if they are worth buying and playing. As for Dark Drakan's question, I enjoyed Final Fantasy, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo II, etc. I just want to make sure Fable is worth getting, which is why I asked about how people felt about them - if they enjoyed the Trilogy, the ups and downs for the game, etc.

The first Fable was the most RPG like of all the Fable games (TLC mainly) so I think you may well enjoy it if you dont mind some dated visuals etc.

Gavindale

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't mind games with some dated visuals. In fact, I feel that some older games, although dated, are actually better in many ways than more modern games. I'm referring to DOS games, some Win98, that sort of thing. What about the following two Fable games? Do they live up to the standards placed by the first Fable? btw, what is TLC?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't mind games with some dated visuals. In fact, I feel that some older games, although dated, are actually better in many ways than more modern games. I'm referring to DOS games, some Win98, that sort of thing. What about the following two Fable games? Do they live up to the standards placed by the first Fable? btw, what is TLC?

TLC is Fable: The Lost Chapters.

It features all the content found in the original Fable, as well as additional new content such as new monsters, weapons, items, armour, towns, buildings and expressions. The story receives further augmentation in the form of nine new areas and sixteen additional quests. ceives further augmentation in the form of nine new areas and sixteen additional quests.

They removed some of the more RPG elements as Fable series went on and they became more action/adventure orientated by Fable 3.

Gavindale

Reaction score
So it all comes down to whether or not I should buy Fable and it's sequels. The way I see it, I am personally inclined to buy sequels if I buy and enjoy the original game. I was like that with Neverwinter Nights, Final Fantasy, Might and Magic, etc. I am also in the market for Diablo 3 and Dragon Age Origins.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
So it all comes down to whether or not I should buy Fable and it's sequels. The way I see it, I am personally inclined to buy sequels if I buy and enjoy the original game. I was like that with Neverwinter Nights, Final Fantasy, Might and Magic, etc. I am also in the market for Diablo 3 and Dragon Age Origins.

Well Fable is cheap now so got nothing to lose really, I havent played Diablo 3 and didnt enjoy DA: Origins much but that was down to personal preference more than anything.

Gavindale

Reaction score
Why didn't you enjoy Dragon Age: Origins? My only basis for comparison is a video on Youtube, but I'm curious to why you didn't like it...?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Why didn't you enjoy Dragon Age: Origins? My only basis for comparison is a video on Youtube, but I'm curious to why you didn't like it...?

I felt the menus & overall UI were cluttered, you were overloaded with text/info and quests from the get go and it was daunting. Some systems weren't well explained and at the time I played it a lot of the systems simply didn't flow well and also sometimes it wasn't clear what quests were active and where your objectives were.

Gavindale

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on Dragon Age, I appreciate your input. My problem now is two-fold... if I will purchase Fable (and it's sequels), or sideline them and try out some games that I am more in tune with. I have a short list of games that I am eager to play, but I don't know where to put Fable on that list.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on Dragon Age, I appreciate your input. My problem now is two-fold... if I will purchase Fable (and it's sequels), or sideline them and try out some games that I am more in tune with. I have a short list of games that I am eager to play, but I don't know where to put Fable on that list.

I think you may enjoy Dragon Age more than I did, it matches the type of games you're interested in and I really wanted to enjoy it. I'm a big RPG fan and also a Bioware fan but something just didn't sit right with me with it and maybe I didn't give it a decent chance.

Fable itself is cheap enough to not cut into budget too much and easy to pick up and play while you also play other titles.

bluetain

Reaction score
I think you should give fable a try gav, albion is quite a unique universe that you will want to return to time and time again. Fable game's are funny, I mean in what other rpg, or action based game can you fart in people's faces, get married, have children, and fable doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes it quite a refreshing game experience. I tried dragon age and while I can see the game's merits, I found it a little boring in segments, lacking atmosphere that could draw me into its universe . Fable isn't as detailed as the elder scrolls, but entertains in a way that leaves you wanting more.

Gavindale

Reaction score
Well, when it comes down to it, I have two basic options. I can either go the Fable Trilogy route, or Dragon Age and Diablo 3. Not sure what avenue to take here. I have been waiting a while to play Dragon Age and Diablo 3, but Fable looks great too! The thing that has had me waiting on this choice is that I have been playing Torchlight 2 - and I have just about completed it. One thing about Fable - it looks similar to Oblivion, and I was not 100% on that one. Is Fable like that? - Similar to Oblivion?

Gavindale

Reaction score
Sorry, dumb question. But yeah, I can go either the Fable route or the Dragon Age/Diablo 3 route. They all look great.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well, when it comes down to it, I have two basic options. I can either go the Fable Trilogy route, or Dragon Age and Diablo 3. Not sure what avenue to take here. I have been waiting a while to play Dragon Age and Diablo 3, but Fable looks great too! The thing that has had me waiting on this choice is that I have been playing Torchlight 2 - and I have just about completed it. One thing about Fable - it looks similar to Oblivion, and I was not 100% on that one. Is Fable like that? - Similar to Oblivion?

Oblivion is open world and is far more vast than the Fable series. Would be unfair to attempt to compare the two series as Elder Scrolls is just far larger.

The Witcher 3 would be my recommendation too, reviews are glowing from what I have read so far as they have been released today. So if you have a PC or next gen console then this is one of the best RPGs for years apparently.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Why not both? You only live once, might as well dive in and enjoy the whole bag of goodies. As Drakan said, the Fable series becomes more simplified overtime, but you can still do roleplaying in it. Peter clearly wanted to make the series open-world, but for one reason or another just never managed to achieve it, but the sequels are still fun by their own merits. Your character can't talk except for in Fable 3, relationships in the game aren't that deep, you can get a spouse just from farting a few times after all. The series as a whole for lack of a better word is unique, you can't go wrong with the series, the only downside was Peter Molyneux's failed promises, ignore those promises and you still have great games.

If you want the best of both worlds for Fable & Oblivion, then shoot for Kingdoms of Amalur it's an excellent game that sadly didn't get the justice it deserved (ended up getting eclipsed by Skyrim). If you're in the market for more open world games like Oblivion, then go for Fallout 3 & New Vegas same engine, gameplay and developers (though NV is by Obsidian). You can also do Morrowind if you haven't given it a try, arguably the best Elder Scrolls game period. Oh, and Daggerfall (some DOS respect)

The original Dragon Age is good, but it was also rushed, especially the console ports which are buggy and have performance issues (DA2 is polished however). If you're going to get it, then either get it for PC or settle for the 360 version. Alternatively, you can go for Bioware's Mass Effect series instead, same roleplaying depth, but with guns and intergalactic fun. Neither of them are open-world like Inquisition or the rumored Mass Effect 4, but their deep story-driven gameplay is superb. Honorable mentions with Jade Empire & KOTOR.

I too also recommend the Witcher series, including the new 3rd one which looks amazing so far and unlike its predecessors is open world. Although with the Witcher series you don't get to create your own character like with the other games mentioned, still awesome though.